Beefy Buns Recipe
Continuing in my series of Taste of Home recipes modified to create healthier versions for those who are a bit more careful about what they eat.
- 1 batch Ezekiel Style Bread Dough
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- After running through bread machine Dough cycle (rising once), turn dough onto a floured surface and divide into 12 pieces. Let rest.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add cabbage, onion, salt and pepper. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in cheese. Remove from the heat; set aside to cool.
- Gently roll out each piece of dough into a 5-in. circle. Top each with about 1/4 cup filling. Fold dough over filling to meet in the center; pinch edges to seal.
- Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Original recipe published as Meat Buns in Quick Cooking September/October 1998