Midnight Caribbean Pork Sandwiches
Here’s another Taste of Home recipe I’ve changed up to remove sugar where it really wasn’t necessary. Another twist I like to add is at the end – instead of warming the shredded meat in a slow cooker, I spread it out on a sheet pan, drizzle the juices over it and warm it in the oven for about 30 minutes. This makes some of the shredded meat crispy and adds a bit more texture.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium onions, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth (or Mezcal)
- 10 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 7 teaspoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 12 Ezekiel hamburger buns
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and sliced
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir until tender, 6-8 minutes. Add beer, garlic cloves, cumin, chipotle peppers, salt and pepper; cook and stir until combined.
- Place roast in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Pour onion mixture over meat. Cook, covered, on low until pork is tender, 6-8 hours.
- Remove roast; shred with 2 forks. Strain cooking juices. Reserve vegetables and 1 cup juices; discard remaining juices. Skim fat from reserved juices. Return pork and reserved vegetables and cooking juices to slow cooker; heat through. Serve on Ezekiel Style Sandwich Rolls with avocado.
Originally published as Midnight Caribbean Pork Sandwiches in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2019